At first I admired the minimal look but after several girls in my college started following the trend and making comments about my own outfits I'm starting to resent it. I first observed this style on Tumblr and it's since spread into the street snapping section of magazines and fashion trend blogs. I keep attracting comments about how I dress which infuriates me considering their own style is inspired by my subculture's fashion, they would know that if they wasn't trend hopping bimbos.
And breath *phew*. I hope I'm not being unreasonable and you won't judge me for getting bristly about the subject. I have strangers demanding to know where I got my DARLING VINTAGEY velvet blazer and wrongly thinking we're wearing the same skirt even though mine is handmade. Plus I have this tiny silly fear another Goth will mistake me for one and snub me. Which is ridiculous considering I've never met another Goth on the streets and I would never dress similar to a Hipster Goth.
I'm simply ignoring the issue now, it's not worth shitting bats over for several reasons:
- Fashion can change in a matter of months, wait a year and you won't see any gawfix trendy people swanning around.
- It's unlikely you'll meet one that offends you, the one that makes comments about my outfits at college actually only dresses like that once a week and she's easily ignored.
- People who follow trends are aware that it won't last forever so they usually choose key pieces and incorporate them into their wardrobe, consequently they don't look like they're trying to be Goth.
- When shops create their own range they predict trends and use inspiration from designers, it's much more watered down and quite unlike a typical gothic wardrobe.
- The "Chic Goth" articles are usually quite funny, although sometimes they do offer good advise and point out a new black varnish I haven't tried yet.
- My silly fear of being mistaken for a trend hopper is an irrational one, they never look entirely comfortable in their outfit and it shows. Besides a lot of trend followers are creative and merely use it as inspiration for their own unique outfits.